Monday, June 15, 2009

Monday - Volunteer Work at the Cathedral





As the end of the pilgrimage draws nearer it seems like time is speeding up. The days feel shorter and even Compline seems to go by a little faster. (just a little) Though I'm not usually one to theorize I think that its because the group has grown closer and I realized that today when the manual labour didn't feel so... well... so much like labour.

For many of us on this trip our usual definition of “doing work” at home consists of daily chores and homework or possibly a job as a bag boy at the neighborhood Kroger. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I doubt anyone in our group paints fences or does yard work for 9 hours a day and I know that no one was excited about the actual task. What we were excited about was giving back to the people who welcomed us into their church community the night before. After a few hours of work we took a lunch break; the women of the church had prepared an excellent meal for us of which they were clearly very proud.

The enthusiasm that the members of the church have for their community is truly amazing and it is something I feel could be brought back by our group to help the development of our church community.

-Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment